For learning to be effective it needs to be both active and meaningful:
- Active learning occurs when a person takes control of their learning experience. Since understanding information is the key aspect of learning, it is important for learners to recognize what they understand and what they do not. By doing so, they can monitor their own mastery of subjects.
- Meaningful learning is the concept that learned knowledge (e.g. a fact) is fully understood to the extent that it relates to other knowledge. It’s making sense of things combined with taking action - such as doing something about it.
- What’s working?
- What’s not working?
- What needs to start happening?
- What do we need to do more of?
- What do we need to do less of?
- What do we need to stop doing?
Businesses of all sizes that learn the best survive the best - and thrive the best.